Disaster Management is one of the major responsibilities that Nepal Police is mandated to work for. The Police act (2012 BS) and the Police Regulations (2015 BS) regarding the job, duty and responsibility of its workforce clearly state that every police unit and each police personnel have to be determinately mobilized for Disaster Management. Likewise, many other laws, regulations and policies including Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Act 2017, National Disaster Response Framework 2019, Disaster Risk Reduction National Policy 2018, Disaster Risk Reduction National Strategic Action Plan (2018-2030) 2018, Search & Rescue Based Strategic Action Plan 2014 and many others have obliged Nepal Police to be prepared for and respond to any emergency or disaster for the sake of protection of life and property. Either it be natural or manmade, every year Nepal faces different disastrous incidents resulting into huge human casualty, loss of property, infrastructure and environment. Basically, the recurrent hazards are earthquake, flood, landslide and soil erosion, wind storm, fire, thunderstorm, cold waves and hot waves, road accidents and plane crash, industrial accident, animal terror etc. Disaster Management Division was established as specialized police unit to work in the area of Disaster Risk Reduction and management i.e. coordination and collaboration with stakeholders, prevention and mitigation activities, preparedness and capacity building programs and effective response and mobilization in case of disaster.
As entrusted with the enactment of Police Act 2012, police units and their staffs have incessantly been involving in the rescue and relief activities in any catastrophes, emergency and crises. Considering Disaster Management one of the major work areas, Disaster Management Section was established under Police Headquarters, Department of Operations on 2068/12/10 BS to enhance organizational competency and performance in disaster management arena. Meanwhile, disaster management Section was separately relocated to Dillibazar, Charkhal on 2069/10/04 and was named as Central Police Disaster Response Task Force. Later the office was upgraded to Disaster Management Division on 2069/10/21 having a Senior Superintendent of Police as an in-charge. On 2072/06/14 the division was fulfilled with 446 ceiling of different rank. On the vary day one Regional Police Disaster Management Task Force was established in the then each development regions having 125 manpower in command of an Inspector. Along with the restructuring process of the nation, with the decision of the Government of Nepal, Councils of Ministers on 2075/02/27, two more Disaster Management Companies were established, one in Province 2 and another in Province 5. So far there are 8 specialized police units with 1322 manpower in Nepal Police with the mandate to work solely in the field of Disaster Risk Reduction and Management. As devastating earthquake in 2015 damaged the building of Dillibazzar, Disaster Management Division was shifted to Samakhusi on 2072/01/28.
Provide quality service in the field of Disaster Risk Reduction and Search and Rescue
Capacitate police units with resources and respond disasters through prompt mobilization and effective search and rescue
- Effective Preparedness
- Prompt Mobilization
- Efficient Rescue
- Work as focal unit for Nepal Police and draft plans, policies and recommendations in the field of disaster risk reduction and management. Work for human resource planning and capacity enhancement, formulate policies and priorities for central level and guide, supervise and direct subordinate units in course of implementation of the policies.
- Comprehensively initiate to collaborate with governmental and non-governmental stakeholders in the sector of disaster risk reduction i.e. prevention, mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery. Being guided by the framework of concerned laws and guidelines, exchange information, coordinate and work jointly for mutual betterment with national and international agencies for effective search and rescue activities in case of mega disasters.
- Conduct training and simulation exercises for skill development and capacity enhancement of police force through elevated coordination and collaboration with national and international stakeholders as per police headquarters policy.
- Conduct disaster risk reduction public awareness programs involving local police units, educational institutions and communities.
- Procure and manage hazard specific rescue equipments and resources to deploy respective rescue teams (Collapsed Structure Search and Rescue, Fire Firing, First Aid & DBM, Rope Rescue, Water Induced Disaster Rescue) in case of any disastrous event.
- Collect and collate record of disaster and loss from all over the nation in twice a day basis, analize and process the data to generate the information to anticipate, plan and prepare for future disasters.
- Deploy 3 platoon of emergency responders as stand by in 24/7 basis with search and rescue equipments (Multi hazard specific) along with at least one ready to move vehicle.
Standard Operating Procedure of Disaster Management Division and the Subordinate Units 2073 BS. (approved by Inspector General of Police)
Name and Location of Specialized Disaster Management Units
|Name of Office||District/Location||Remarks|
|Disaster Management Division, Samakhushi, Kathmandu||Kathmandu/samakhushi|
|1 No. State Disaster Management Company, Chandragadhi, Jhapa||Jhapa/chandragadhi|
|2 No. State Disaster Management Company, Birgunj, Parsa||Parsa/Birgunj|
|3 No. State Disaster Management Company, Hetauda||Makwanpur/Hetauda|
|Gandaki State Disaster Management Company, Baglung||Baglung|
|5 No. State Disaster Management Company, Tulshipur, Dang||Dang/Tulshipur|
|Karnali State Disaster Management Company, Jumla||Jumla|
|Far-West State Disaster Management Company, Mahendranagar||Kanchanpur|
Organogram of Disaster Management Division
Organogram of State Disaster Management Companies
Human Resource Ceiling
|Disaster Management Division||1||1||2||11||39||41||64||284||4||447|
|State Disaster Management Company||7||70||70||119||595||14||875|
Emergency Rescue Service:
- Disaster management division in central and state disaster management companies in all 7 provinces provide 24/7 rescue service.
- Hazard specific Efficient and trained rescuers for fire, collapsed structure, road crash, rope rescue, water induced disasters, confined space rescue etc.
- At least three platoon rescuers stand by in 24/7 basis to respond multi-hazard emergency or disaster.
- A ready to move vehicle with basic multi-hazard rescue equipment, prehospital treatment accessories and communication tools.
Hazard specific deployment capacity of disaster management division
|S.No.||Hazard||No of Rescuer per team||No of teams||Equipment Set|
|1||Structural Collapse/confined space entrapment||30||10||12|
|5||Deep well/sink hole entrapment||15||2||5|
|7||Water induced hazards||40||1||1|
- Simultaneously conducting integrated Disaster Management Basic Training course for two groups (30 pax per group/ 45 working days).
- Introducing Community Police Partnership(CPP) based disaster risk reduction public awareness programs in community and school level. Especially fire safety demonstration and practice, first aid demonstration, earthquake safety demonstration.
- Regularly conducting emergency rescue orientation and refreshment courses for all rescuers in rotation basis.
- Development, production and distribution of hazard specific awareness booklets in coordination with local governments.
- Participation in disaster risk reduction training, workshop, seminar, simulation exercises, search and rescue drills and competitions.
- Represent Nepal Police organization in the policy formulation forums, and committees.
- Regularly gather disaster and loss data from all over the nation in twice a day basis.
- Analysis of collected data for impact based anticipation, development and use of early warning system and prepare for and respond to plausible disasters.
Infrastructure and Facilities
- Residential accommodation for 350 staffs in a barrack system.
- Well-equipped training/seminar halls with multimedia facility.
- Sufficient breakout rooms for group exercises and practice.
- Internal props area for practical sessions and simulation exercises.
- Self-sustained sets of crisis communication equipment including satellite phones and GPS devices.
- Establish disaster management training center for training, simulation and research activities.
- Develop physical infrastructure and work for institutional prosperity.
- Enhance coordination and collaboration with national and international DRRM stakeholders.
- AS part of ongoing Community Police Partnership Program, increase the areas of cooperation among academia, community and local governments.
- Procure technology friendly and advanced search and rescue equipment to respond multi-hazard disasters.
- Uplift the rescue capacity especially in the field of CBRN, deep diving, high altitude rescue etc.
समुदाय प्रहरी साझेदारी अन्तर्गतका कार्यक्रमहरु
विपत उद्धार गतिविधि
क्षमता विकास (बाह्य गतिविधी)
क्षमता विकास (आन्तरिक गतिविधी)
२०७२ बैशाख १२ गते गएको भूकम्पमा यस महाशाखाबाट उद्धारको लागि खटि गएको टोली